Life is busy, fact. For many of us sometimes there just isn’t time in the day to drive to the gym, do a spin class or head out for a run or a walk. The daily demands can leave even the most motivated of us frustrated at not being able to workout. Well, here at 1Life, we’ve devised a fat busting, time efficient circuit of simple yet effective exercises, which can be done at home (or on holiday, if you are heading away) to help keep that metabolism working effectively, boosting fat loss and helping to build lean muscle.
This 20-minute workout requires absolutely no equipment and it can be done before or after work, during your lunch break, or well, anytime that suits you! Crank the music up, pop on a podcast or even do it whilst watching Eastenders – it’s totally your call.
Set a timer for 20 minutes, and repeat this 5 exercise circuit as many times as possible with just 40 seconds rest in between each round.
1. Reverse Lunges, 8 reps each side
Reverse lunges strengthen thighs and hips. They’re simple and target each leg individually for better balance and stability.
- Stand tall, with your feet hip-width apart. Take a controlled long step back with your left foot.
- Lower your hips, so that your right thigh (front leg) becomes parallel to the floor, with your knee positioned directly over your ankle (not over your toes) and you make a 90-degree angle and pull yourself back up with your forward leg. Make sure your left heel is lifted.
- Return to standing, press right heel into the floor and bring left leg forward and repeat on the other leg. Alternate legs, completing 8 reps each side per circuit.
2. Lateral split squats, 8 reps per side
Squats side-to-side, can build more strength in each leg than with regular squats, whilst also switching on and engaging more muscles, and in turn burning more calories – win win!
- Begin by standing with a wide stance and your feet straight out in front.
- Sit back into one hip and bend the knee out sideways.
- Keep your abs tight and back straight. Then go back to your starting position, and then side squat in the other direction using all your lower body muscles.
- Continue squatting side-to-side, staying low throughout.
3. Mountain Climbers, 30 second blast
A total body-workout in an exercise but they aren’t for the faint hearted! Mountain climbers, spike your heart rate and fire up nearly every muscle group in your body. It looks simple, but we are sure in just a few seconds, you’ll feel them working!
- Get into a plank position. Keep your abs pulled in and your body straight. Squeeze your glutes and pull your shoulders away from your ears.
- Pull your right knee into your chest. As the knee draws to the chest, pull your abs in even tighter to be sure your body doesn’t sag or come out of its plank position.
- Quickly switch and pull the left knee in. At the same time you push your right leg back.
- Pull the knees in right, left, right, left—always switching simultaneously so that you are using a “running” motion. Keep your core tight throughout and spine straight, making sure the hips don’t rise.
4. Push Ups, 10 reps
The pushup is quite simply one of the best bodyweight exercises, for your upper-body and core, activating multiple muscles.
- Place your hands underneath your shoulders and extend your legs out straight behind you into a plank position, with the balls of your feet on the ground.
- Keep your core tight and your buttocks squeezed, and lower back flat.
- Then, lower your body down until your chest touches the ground in one movement.
- Keep your body in a straight line as you push back away from the floor and bring your body back up to the starting position. Repeat.
5. Jumping Jacks, 30 seconds
You might have been doing them since school, but Jumping Jacks are a great full body workout and even better for weight loss.
- Stand tall with your feet together and arms by your sides.
- Quickly raise your arms overhead while simultaneously jumping on both feet out to the side. Make an inverted V shape with your legs with every jump.
- Then drop the arms back to the sides and feet back together, and repeat the movement.
- Make sure you land gently on every jump and wear good trainers.
Don’t forget to check your technique, and once you’ve mastered the exercises, repeat the circuit as many times as possible within 20 minutes.
Enjoy and Good Luck!